DISPOSAL STATION #13 - SAN JOAQUIN
The site is located southeast of Fairchild Road and MacArthur Blvd., in the City of Irvine.
Dates of Operation and Closure
The County operated the refuse disposal station from 1954 to 1961.
Size and Types of Waste
Prior to 1954 the site was a burn site that was expanded to 129 acres and converted to a municipal solid waste disposal facility in 1959. Most waste materials disposed at the site have been identified as residential, commercial, demolition and agricultural wastes. No liquid or hazardous wastes are known to have been disposed. Refuse from the western portion of the site was excavated during the construction of Highway 73.
1954 County leased 16.7 acres from The Irvine Company (TIC) and operated it as a refuse disposal station.
1959 Ownership of land transferred from TIC to the University of California, Irvine (UCI).
1961 County ceased operations and closed the refuse disposal station before reaching capacity, due to the opening of the Coyote Canyon Landfill.
1963 County lease with UCI expired. 1985 Dredge material from Back Bay area deposited at site.
1989 A water Solid Waste Assessment Test (SWAT) conducted and report submitted to the Regional Water Quality Control Board (RWQCB).
1996 UCI sold a portion of the site to the United States Food and Drug Administration (USFDA).
2000 Site included in the Closed Landfill Environmental Assessment and Response (CLEAR) project. Fieldwork completed in fall 2000. Site assessment report completed and submitted to the Local Enforcement Agency (LEA).
2001 Construction of an office facility on USFDA property initiated.
2002 LEA issued a Notice and Order to UCI to investigate landfill gas (LFG) offsite migration.
2003 LEA approved UCI LFG control work plan. UCI corrected surface drainage/erosion issues noted by the RWQCB. USFDA completed construction of their office facility.
2005 Pursuant to a Cooperative Agreement between the County and UCI, the County assumed LFG monitoring and reporting responsibilities and prepared an LEA- approved LFG Corrective Action Plan (CAP) for the site.
2006 With cooperation and assistance from UCI Environmental Programs, County developed a site maintenance plan and designed a LFG collection and control system for the site.
2007-2008 County designed LFG system modifications to accommodate requests from both UCI and an adjacent landowner.
2009 March - Construction of the LFG collection and control system near completion. Due to late notice of an additional design change requested by UCI, the electrical permit from Southern California Edison (SCE) is still pending. LFG system will be connected and operations to begin upon receipt of SCE permit and tie-in to SCE meter.
2010 LFG collection and control system construction completed in February. Due to continuing records of methane at above regulatory limits an extension and enhancement of the system including the construction of 10 additional LFG wells was completed in June. A Long Term Monitoring & Operational Plan (LTMOP) as well as the LFG System Construction Completion Report was submitted to the LEA. LEA, UCI, OCWR, and SARWQCB met to discuss a possible future solar panel project. UCI is proposing to locate 13 solar panels on the southern perimeter bench of the site.
2011 With LEA permission, OCWR abandoned three LFG compliance probes. County submitted updated as-builts to the LEA.
2012 UCI reiterated their interest in constructing a solar panel project at the site, and will continue to keep the County informed as the project moves forward. Samples from probe SJ-GP-11B (deep) were sent to a laboratory for biochemical analysis to determine whether the methane in the probe is landfill-related or from a different or mixed source. County is awaiting results of the analysis.
UCI Regents; USFDA
Current Land Use
Open space; USFDA office building
Environmental Control Measures
County conducts quarterly groundwater monitoring, monthly LFG probe monitoring and will operate and maintain the LFG system upon completion of installation.