DISPOSAL STATION #19 - REEVE PIT
The site is located at the northeast corner of Villa Park Road/East Santiago Canyon Road and North Hewes Street in the City of Orange.
Dates of Operation and Closure
The County operated the refuse disposal station from 1958 to 1961.
Size and Types of Waste
The 9.1-acre site was operated by the County under a lease agreement with the property owners, and accepted approximately 440,000 cubic yards of municipal solid waste. The maximum depth of waste is approximately 100 feet. No liquid or hazardous wastes are known to have been disposed at the site.
Prior to 1958 Site was an abandoned sand and gravel pit previously operated by the Sully-Miller Company.
1958-1961 County leased the site from the Reeve family for use as a local municipal refuse disposal station.
1961 County ceased operations, closed the site and surrendered the lease to the property owners.
1990 County installed an air injection system at a fire station adjacent to the site to control landfill gas (LFG) migration at the fire station.
1992 A water Solid Waste Assessment Test (SWAT) was conducted and report submitted to the Regional Water Quality Control Board (RWQCB). The Report indicated no leachate or contamination from the site. Orange County Water District (OCWD) began operating groundwater recharging basins adjacent to the site. The RWQCB expressed concern regarding potential adverse impacts on water quality from OCWD recharge activity potentially raising water in the basins towards the trash cell.
1998 Mr. and Mrs. Toral purchased 1.6 acres of the site south of Santiago Canyon Road with plans to build a day-care center. The City Planning Commission issued a Notice of Intent to adopt a Mitigated Negative Declaration (MND) for the Toral’s proposed Childbridge Pre-School. The County, the Local Enforcement Agency (LEA) and the South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) provided comments to the City regarding the MND for the proposed pre-school project. The Torals retained Soil Pacific Inc. to determine the vertical and lateral extent of the refuse footprint on the 1.6-acre parcel.
2000 Site was included in the County’s Closed Landfill Environmental Assessment and Response (CLEAR) project. Field work was completed in fall 2000, and site assessment report was submitted to the LEA.
2001 The remaining 7.4 acres of the site north of Santiago Canyon Road were leased from the Reeves family for the construction of the private Oakridge School.
2003 A Developer proposed trash excavation to accommodate construction of self-storage units on the Toral parcel. OC Public Works requested that the project proponent provide a cost analysis and the necessary regulatory approvals prior to submitting an application to OC Public Works for Environmental Impact Report (EIR) review and a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) for the project.
2004 The RWQCB reduced groundwater monitoring frequency from quarterly to annually.
2005 A consultant for the Torals inquired about the possibility of re-burying waste excavated from their portion of the site at either the Frank R. Bowerman or the Olinda Alpha Landfill. No further contact from property owner or consultant.
2007 The Oakridge School submitted a draft Long Term Monitoring and Operational Plan (LTMOP) for their LFG collection and control system to the LEA, and completed repairs at the western end of the school parking lot where differential settlement had occurred.
2008 The LEA issued an Area of Concern (AC) to the Oakridge School, requiring the submittal of a revised LTMOP January 1, 2009.
2009 LEA reviewed revised draft LTMOP from Oakridge School and returned with comments/changes.
2010 LEA approved the final LTMOP submitted by Oakridge School. Per LEA inspection reports, all monitoring probes are functioning properly as are the indoor methane sensors and alarms.
2011 LEA reviewed and approved revised LTMOP for the Fire Station. Fire Station probes are now monitored on quarterly basis instead of a monthly basis. While the County will continue to maintain the continuous methane alarm system installed in the Fire Station structure, the facility will only be monitored at the request of the Fire Department or in the event that the gas detection system alarm is triggered. In September a Draft Mitigated Negative Declaration (MND) was issued for a proposed self-storage facility on the Toral portion of the site. The final MND has not been circulated.
2012 The Oakridge Private School portion of the site is in complete compliance with all regulations. The County and representatives from the potential self-storage company and property owner continue to meet to discuss the proposed self-storage facility.
Thomas Reeve and Julia Reeve Ware own the 7.4-acre parcel north of Santiago Canyon Road. Mr. and Mrs. Toral own the 1.6-acre parcel south of Santiago Canyon Road.
Current Land Use
Oakridge Private School; undeveloped open space.
Environmental Control Measures
County maintains an air injection system next to Fire Station #23, and an interior methane detection alarm system located within the Fire Station. The County conducts annual groundwater monitoring and LFG probe monitoring at the exterior of the Fire Station.
Pursuant to permit requirements, the Oakridge School is required to implement and maintain LFG environmental mitigations as required by the LEA and RWQCB. Oakridge School monitors LFG compliance probes on a quarterly basis.