DISPOSAL STATION #3 - DEL OBISPO
The site is located at the southeast corner of Del Obispo and Quail Run in the City of Dana Point.
Dates of Operation and Closure
The County operated the refuse disposal station from 1946 to 1958.
Size and Types of Waste
The 15.3-acre site originally housed an 8-acre pit that was used later as an unlined burn dump. The pit was filled primarily with municipal waste burned on-site and solid inert wastes.
1946-1958 County operated site as a refuse disposal station. 1958 County ceased operations and closed refuse disposal station.
1958-1969 County leased site to Del Obispo Recreation Center, Inc. for $1.00 per year to develop the property for recreation purposes.
1958 Approximately 5.42 acres on the east side of the creek were sold to Capistrano Beach Sanitary District.
1985 County Road Department assumed property management responsibility.
2000 Site included in the Closed Landfill Environmental Assessment and Response (CLEAR) project. No field work required as part of this initial site assessment. Site assessment report was completed and submitted to the Local Enforcement Agency (LEA).
2004 LEA granted permission to change site inspection frequency from quarterly to annually.
2005-2012 No activity at site. No solid waste issues reported in the annual LEA site inspection report.
County of Orange; City of Dana Point
Current Land Use
Eight acres of site have been separated into two parcels. A 7-acre portion is operated as Del Obispo Community Park. The remaining one-acre is utilized as a yard for County road maintenance equipment.
Environmental Control Measures
No control measures are currently in place at this site.
Making Orange County a safe, healthy, and fulfilling place to live, work, and play, today and for generations to come, by providing outstanding, cost-effective regional public services.
You Are Now Leaving the County of Orange Official Portal